When I came up with the idea for ForeignTeacherPay.com, I wanted to create a free and open site that would help English teachers in China to find out how much other teachers in their city earned. The current incarnation of the site is basically a proof of concept that has lots of room for improvement. I’m happy to report that things are moving forward for a redesign and remake.
Overview of what’s to come
Here is the roadmap for what’s to come:
- Site overhaul. The first step is to recreate and improve the existing features of the site. Right now the site runs on WordPress. WP is great as a blogging platform, but is lacking in terms of creating a responsive site. I’m writing a new site entirely from scratch that will have all the features (and data) that the current site has, with the following improvements:
- Automatic entries When you add your pay information, it will show up automatically.
- Better search & sorting options Making it easier for you to find and compare pay information
- Adding features
- School reviews I know this is what people want; the question is how to implement it fairly and in a way that avoids spam, insanity, and schools pulling guanxi and getting the website blocked.
- Teaching materials This is a site for teachers, and I think there’s substantial room for professional development and networking.
- Professional networking There are some great China expat sites out there, but none that help you to build a professional network or have a teaching portfolio for schools. I’d like ForeignTeacherPay to be able to help you with that.
While there are changes coming, the basic mission of this site will not change: free access to real pay data from English teachers around China.
With all that being said, what would you like to see? How could this site serve you better?